No matter where you land on the political spectrum, I think most people would agree that the energy of our world seems more divisive lately. The yoga teachings never promised us a peaceful world–they provided us tools to have more personal peace, in spite of what happens to or around us. According to the teachings, the most powerful tool for developing inner peace is meditation. Over the next few weeks, I will share some of my favorites.
The meditation below is simple yet powerful. Enjoy!
Simple Counting Meditation:
- Sit comfortably, with your spine erect and the crown of your head floating up to the ceiling.
- Allow your eyes to close, and notice your breath—without intentionally trying to change it. Bring your attention to the warmth and coolness of the breath at the tip of your nostrils.
- After 2 – 3 minutes, or whenever you are ready, start counting each exhalation. For example, when you exhale the first time, think “one”. The next time you exhale, count “two”. Keep counting silently to yourself like that, until you get to ten. After you reach ten, then start over again from “one”.
- You’ll know your mind has wandered because you’ll lose count or notice that you’re thinking about something else. When that happens, (and it will!) try not to get frustrated. Instead, simply start over again by counting from “one”. Notice how often you need to restart counting without judgment or frustration. The goal isn’t to get to 10, but to keep refocusing whenever your mind wanders.
- Continue this meditation for 10 minutes or longer if you’d like.
Please visit us soon at Whole Life Yoga!
All four books in the Downward Dog Mystery Series are available at booksellers everywhere!