A Note from Tracy: Research has proven that yoga is an effective tool to help overcome depression, according to this article recently published in Harvard Health Publishing. Effective yoga practices to combat depression are about more than movement, however. Breath and meditation are equally, if not more, important. In this series of articles, I will share six practices (some movement, some breath, and some meditation) from my series Overcoming Depression with Yoga. Enjoy!
The meditation below helps you invite in positive energy while releasing all that doesn’t serve you. Enjoy!
Light in, Fog Out Meditation:
- Sit comfortably, with your spine erect and the crown of your head floating up to the ceiling.
- Allow your eyes to close and notice your breath—without intentionally trying to change it. Bring your attention to the sensation of movement in your belly as you breathe in and out.
- After 2 – 3 minutes or whenever you are ready, begin imagining the breath as energy.
- Breathe in, and imagine that all of the positive energy of the universe enters your body with the breath. Visualize this energy as a pure, white light that pervades every cell and fiber of your being.
- Breathe out, and imagine that all your negative energies—sadness, tiredness, mistakes and misunderstandings—leave your body with the breath. Visualize these negative energies as either a black smoke or a vaporous fog that leaves with your exhale, goes out into space, and completely dissolves and disappears.
- When your mind is distracted by other thoughts, simply notice them. Then with your next inhale, breathe in the pure, white, positive energy and begin the meditation again.
- Continue this meditation for 10 minutes or longer if you’d like.
Next week I’ll share a movement practice that helps build focus and integrates the right and left hemispheres of the brain. If you’re interested in learning more about my private yoga therapy practice and yoga teacher training, visit my website at http://svanayogaseattle.com/
My newest Downward Dog Mystery, Pre-Meditated Murder is available now in e-book and paper back copies everywhere! Check this link for some local ideas. http://tracyweberauthor.com/buy_premeditated.html